Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Remembering The Good Times...*

I text a friend of mine from Lindenwood some song lyrics to a song that we used to drive around and listen to together and he said, "you remembering the good times?" Remembering the good times is something I have been doing a lot of this summer.

This evening I had dinner with an old friend from high school...well more like elementary school. Erin was one of my first friends that I made in Jackson. We were in Mrs. Ludwigs's fourth grade class together. We made a best friend's club and played together at recess. She came to my house and we played with my American Girl doll together. As we grew up we were in many more classes together and many more memories were made. Junior high was rough but it was always good to have Erin to help you through it. Then we made it to high school. We shopped for school dances together, we went to try outs for vball together, we talked about boys together. I was there when she got her heart broke for the first time and she was there when I got my first boy friend and my first kiss. And then we graduated and we went our separate ways. Tonight we met up for the first time since high school. We talked about how we would never go back to high school and how we loved college. We remembered the good times and have forgotten the bad times. And we laughed...and laughed. It was so good to see her. She is happy and in love. She beautiful and full of life. Seeing her and remembering the good times was great.


Another person that I have had the privilege to catch up and reminisce with this summer is one of old best friends, Sarah. My relationship with Sarah is and has always been different than my relationship with Erin. Sarah and I met in high school and we instantly clicked. We were inseparable until I left for college. She is a year younger than I am. We stayed in touch that first year of college but it was hard as I had a new life in St. Louis that she wasn't a part of. But as soon as she left for Rolla to go to school she understood completely. She has made her own life there and I think that is why our friendship has worked so well these past three years. We both understand that Jackson and high school is no longer our lives. We come home and we have lunch or dinner together and we talk about each other's lives separate from one another and then we always talk about the past...remembering the good times.

My best friend, Erica, is getting married in December. Needless to say, I am a little emotional over this. She has been my sister since we were like 11 years old, wearing swim caps and competing in swim team together. We didn't go to high school together but we had something bonding us that I didn't have with any of my other friends from school...God. In fact, I became a Christian just after meeting Erica and her family. I always say the Lord sent their family to ours to tell us about Jesus so that He could save us. I have lived with Erica many summers at camp and now for three years at college. We have one semester left together to create memories. But this summer I have read over some old notes of ours, old emails, old letters and spent a lot of time thinking back to the days when things were simple and all we had was each other and that's all we needed. I could sit and talk about the good times with Erica for a long time.

I think it is so important to remember the good times. Of course we are going to have bad times in our lives. We are going to go through trials, we are gonna have people hurt us, disappoint us, we are gonna fail and some days it is gonna feel like it is the end of the world but it is those times that gets us to the next good time. Instead of holding on to the bad and remembering those days...hold on to the good times. I text my friend back today after he asked me that question "you remembering the good times?" and I replied, "I am ALWAYS remembering the good times." :) So for all you that read my blog, thank you for the good times because I know I've had them with you and I hope we have many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment