Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Shaking Hands and Kissing Babies


What a day!! It's official, my feet have begun to hurt. Today was filled with walking. We started our day off by walking to St. Peter's Square to see the Pope. He enters at 10:20 but if you want a seat you have to be there early. There was thousands of people there. It was an experience like none other. People were pushing and shoving and yelling and fighting to see the Pope! These are Christian men and women pushing their way through crowds, knocking down everyone in sight to get a chance to touch the Pope's hand and be blessed. It was insane. It was not as big of a deal to me. However, it meant the world to my Grandma so I took all the skills my dad taught me when we would go to the Cardinal games to get autographs and all the skills that my mom taught me when we would line up outside of Target the morning after Thanksgiving to get the BEST deal and I pushed and I shoved all to get my grandma as close to the Pope as possible. She did not get to touch him but we got some nice pictures and she was thrilled! 


The mobs of people outside St. Peter's Square seeing the Pope. 


Rome was packed today! Masses of people everywhere. In the afternoon we had planned to take a tour of the Vatican museum and the Sistian Chapel but first we needed lunch. One thing I do not care for about Rome is that people are in such a hurry that it is easy to get flustered. For example, today we went to this cafe for lunch. It was packed and I can't understand Italian so I don't know what the waiters are yelling at me when I walk in. They just start handing me food and telling me to take what I want. It is so busy and all you want to do is just sit down and eat so you just begin taking all sorts of different plates....sandwiches, salads, soups, waters (that are not free in Italy by the way!), desserts and more. Before you know it you are getting a ticket for 84 Euros which adds up to over $100 in cash. It took me about an hour to recover from that frustrating experience. 

After our tour of the museum and chapel we decided to try out the Metro system and head over to the Trevi Fountain. This was my favorite part of the day! This area of Rome was so adorable. The streets were narrow and on either sides of them were lights strung up and places to eat inside and outside on the street. Gelato places all over and wine stores near by. People all over but not in a crowded sort of way. It was wonderful. I could not get enough of it. We stopped at a wine store and we bought some moscato, cheese and crackers. It was my mom's idea-a great one at that. We took it to the Trevi fountain and enjoyed. The night was perfect and the wine was AMAZING! Best moscato I have ever had. The fountain was beautiful and so romantic. My grandma, mom and I all tossed coins in the fountain and said our wishes. Tossing the coins in also gaurentees a trip back to Rome and while Rome has had its ups and downs I would come back in a heart beat. Oh Rome..you have been good to us. Tomorrow marks our last day in this crazy city and then on to Florence. 


Getting ready to enjoy some wine outside the Trevi Fountain. 


Before tossing in my coins! 


Beautiful and romantic Trevi Fountain. 





No comments:

Post a Comment