Monday, October 21, 2013

Living the Coastal Life

Today was another day full of driving. It was faily uneventful. We did hear that the number one song in Italy right now is Katy Perry's Roar which is not suprising since that is one of the more common songs we hear when flipping through the radio stations listening for English speaking songs. I did finally get my McDonalds. I am a little embarresed to say that I ate McDonalds in Italy but it was SO good. I have really enjoyed the homecooked pasta here in Italy but after awhile you do crave something different and I would never dream of eating McDonalds while in the city but on the road your choices are limited. It is not like in the States; there are not all these fast food places and gas stations to stop at. You see a gas station and an AutoGrill every so often and I don't know about you but the autogrill does not sound too appealing to me. I voted for McDonalds! My cheeseburger, fries and small vanilla cone was delicious! 



Once we drove through the crazy and run down Napels we arrived in Sorrento. Again, I am in love. Our hotel is right off the coast and it is beautiful. There is no beach but the water comes right to the land and there are docks with boats all along the coast. It reminds me of something straight out of a book. The water is so calm and I enjoyed watching the cruise ships as the sun was setting on the terrace this evening. We were pretty excited because we saw a sign that said there was a jacuzzi tub! We have wanted to hot tub this entire trip and after a day in the car we were all stiff and ready for some relaxation. We went up to the roof top thinking it would be near the pool but we could not find it so we went to the front desk to ask. The front desk is on the 5th floor which is the same floor as the large deck. There is a small looking pool that circles around the elevator on the deck and he said that is the jacuzzi. However, we had felt that water earlier and it was ice cold! He said- "we are not like in the stats, the water is not hot." Well, there goes our dream of hot tubbing!

We freshened up and had dinner at the restaurant here in our hotel. It was nice not to have to get back into the car and go some place or even have to walk some place. We all had the same dish which is the first time we have done that this trip but it sounded so good to all of us-linguini with lobster and a bottle of wine. Oh my goodness! One of the best dinners yet! Then we all shared a lemon cream cake which, again was amazing! I had read that Sorrento is known for their lemons. I will have to pay attention to that tomorrow.


From the rooftop pool.

Tomorrow we are going to take a ship down the Amalfi Coast. It will drop us off in the city for a few hours and then we will get back on and ride slowly along the coast, stopping in one other town for about an hour and a half. It is an all day thing but the first time we have done any kind of tour so that will be fun. 

We Skyped with dad again tonight. I have enjoyed doing that. He was at work. I told him that Grandma said that he must get tired of mom and I talking to him forever about nothing but he said he could talk to us all day about nothing. I think he must miss us!! ;) 


Tonight I sit here in bed with the terrace doors open overlooking the coast feeling incredibly blessed.


View from our room. 



No comments:

Post a Comment