Tuesday, October 22, 2013

All Aboard!

Do we have to leave Sorrento? I've decided that if I ever come back to Italy (and I hope I do) I will come to fewer cities and stay a longer amount of time in each. Sorrento is one I would visit again. Today we got up bright and early and got picked up by a bus to head to the coast where we loaded a boat. The boat took us all along the amalfi coast. It was about a 2 hour boat ride to the town of Amalfi. Along the way we slowed down and the captain would tell us about different things that we were seeing. Once we got to Amalfi we were let off and we had three hours to explore and eat lunch. We went in and out of different ceramic shops but were not too impressed. Amalfi is so crowded and touristy. The prices are high and everything looks the same. We had a gelato right away because it is hot here!! Like I said in my previous blog, this area is known for their lemons. There is this lemon cream cake here that the area is known for that is wonderful. I had that flavor of gelato; I thought I was in heaven. 

After awhile we had lunch and headed back for the boat. We stopped at another little town, Positano. We enjoyed this town more. It was less touristy but by this time we were pretty burnt out on shopping. (crazy I know!) It was hot and out backpacks were heavy. Grandma told us she was going to find a place to sit and enjoy a coffee. Mom and I went into a few more shops and then went to find Grandma. We thought we would see her at a little cafe but instead we found her on a patio enjoying a beer! Of course, Mom and I had to join her for a cocktail. The last few days have been a bit slower but we have enjoyed some nice conversations. We talk about memories, the future and our families back home. Grandma has some of the most vivid memories of when she was a child and she can recall a lot of details about her mom and dad. It has been fun to hear, especially since this trip is mostly for her to see Italy and her heritage. 

The boat ride back to our hotel was so nice and relaxing. I love the water so much. I always envisioned life by the water to be more relaxing. We saw so many people out on boats today and laying out on the beaches and at the pools. We saw this father and son on the ledge of the rocks fishing and all these little bay towns with small bars and fish shops. I have always thought I could live a coastal life. Once we returned to the hotel (after a crazy bus ride back I might add!!) we freshened up and headed to dinner. We decided to eat at our hotel again. The food was delicious last night and it is nice to not have to go anywhere. We enjoyed the same bottle of wine and mom and I had a shrimp pasta which was fantastic. Grandma was a bit more brave and ordered the linguini with seafood bake. It came out all wrapped up in air tight serain wrap. The waiter had to open it up for her and after he did he said, "now would you like me to feed you as well?" Grandma giggled and he winked; as he walked away she said, "now, he is a cutie pie." She loves these Italian men! After opening the sea food bake she was presented with a full plate of oysters and shrimp. She did not look too pleased but once she tried it she was well on her way to finishing it. I had a few as well and mom even tried one. They were pretty good!! I felt like I had to at least have a few of the oysters so that when my dad asked if I had seafood I could say that I had something besides shrimp. We thought about having a kahula and cream out on the terrace after dinner but these ladies were wiped out!! We headed back to the room and laid down for a bit before getting ready for bed. I thought it had to be at least 10....nope, 8:30pm! We are three wild ladies let me tell you! A day in the sun wiped us all out. 

Tomorrow we are going to go into Sorrento to see if we can ship some things home and look for a suitcase to get the rest of our things home and then on the road again. Next stop-Potenza. Potenza is where my great grandma's family is from. This is what the trip was all about for my grandma. I am hoping that it meets her expectations. Potenza also marks the end of our trip. We only have two more cities to visit. I am not sure I am ready for it to end yet. I miss home but I am enjoying this so much. I am just so thankful that I have had this oppurtunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment