Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Italian Fibra

It is common for travelers to have a little difficultly when it comes to using the restroom. I believe that this is even more true for travelers to Italy who are eating cheese, pasta and pastries on the daily-not to mention little water and lots of wine. Trust me-it is a problem. We just finished day 8 of our trip and today we made a visit to the pharmacy. Unfortunatly, this is not our first trip. We have made trips there multiple times for advil, cold meds and cough drops. Just look for the green neon cross. If the light is on they are open; if the light is off they are closed. Tonight we purchased Fibra. She said "oh the stuff you put in your water?" SI SENORA! Once we got back to our apartment my mom boiled some water and made us all a cup. She handed it to me and I expected a clear cup of hot water because in America it is just a tasteless powder that disolves in water but instead it was bright pink and it was THICK! And the longer it sat and cooled the thicker it got. It was like a blob of pink snot. Sorry for the graphics but if you could have seen us trying to down this pink fibra you would understand. My mom downed the entire thing. I made it with about an eighth left in my cup before I had to dump it and I think my grandma drank about half. Hopefully that is my last encounter with Italian Fibra.

About eight hours before the fibra we were standing outside the Leaning Tower of Pisa! Pisa is this tiny little town. There is hardly anything there to see except this huge leaning tower and a Cathedral and Baptistry next door. Again, the buildings were amazing. The detail was gorgeous. It is so hard to even explain what we are seeing because it is nothing like you see in America. Of course everyone is taking pictures like they are holding up the leaning tower so we had to do the same. My grandma had a hard time with this concept but after a couple shots or ten we finally got one that is worthy of show. Afterwards we felt like we should at least pay a visit to a local cafe. It was raining and cold so we got some local hot chocolate and a pastry. The hot chocolate was divine. It was almost like drinking straight melted milk chocolate. It was so rich. I could not even finish my entire cup. 

Then we headed to Cinque De Terre. If you have never seen a picture of this place google it right now. It is beautiful. We have been so excited to come here and see the five villages and the coast. You can walk between the five villages or you can take a boat ride or a train ride. But the drive there is a little dangerous. It is a windy road and you travel up the mountain and then down the mountain and then up the mountain and then finally back down the mountain. My mom is afraid of heights and I know how nervous she can get driving in the mountains in Colorado so I know she was nervous today but she did AWESOME! She kept so calm. It took us awhile but we finally arrived. We are not right off the coast and we do not have a sea side view but the area is still beautiful. We are staying in another apartment here. The place is small. You walk in and there is the bathroom and then you walk to your left and there is a kitchen and back a ways is the living room with the pull out bed. Then there is this tiny little staircase that takes you upstairs to the loft bedroom. There is a little terrace off of the upstairs room and a little patio off of the living room. It is really cute. It will be nice if it stops raining. We are here for two days and are hoping to do a wine tour and to see all five villages. I keep thinking that my dad would like it here because they have lots of fish and seafood (in pasta of course!). 

It has been one week since we have been in Italy. So far the trip has been crazy and fun! I have a feeling the next couple days will be nice and relaxing-kind of like it was in Lucca. We are all still enjoying the food. Although my mom said she was craving chips and salsa today and my grandma is craving meat. As for me? I am still satisfied. I mean we have pasta, bread, wine and gelato. And now we have the beach. What more could you ask for?  

No comments:

Post a Comment