Saturday, October 19, 2013

We Like To Get High

Today was an uneventful day of travel. Driving through Italy is kind of boring. Our car does not have a place to plug in an ipod so we are constantly surfing the stations. The stations play American music but all the DJs and commercials speak Italian so it takes being lucky to catch a song...and to catch a decent song. We often hear the same ones over and over. Some of the songs we have heard while roadtripping- Katy Perry "Eye of the Tiger", Beyone "If I were a Boy", Adele "Rolling in the Deep" and Robin Thicke "Blurred Lines". The songs get a bit old afer awhile. However, it was a beautiful drive-the most beautiful one yet. We had about a four hour drive from Venice to Perugia. We were sad to say goodbye to Venice but excited for the next part of our trip. 

We are in the final week. We fly home a week from today! Part of me is sad to say goodbye to Italy but the other part of me is excited to be home. I could do without the going back to work and class part though. 

Anyways, the drive....amazing. The leaves have begun to change here in Italy and we were driving on this small two lane highway (my mom did not like that part as much) surrounded with rolling hills that had every inch covered in lush green, red and yellow trees. Sometimes this part of Italy reminds me of Hawaii-seeing the green covered hills but then other times I get a small glimpse of Missouri. Of course there are times like today that I think I have never seen anything like it. All the buildings and homes were made of this beautiful grey stone and surronded by trees and farm land. It made the drive worth it. 

Once we got closer to town we began making the trip up, up and up! It seems like we have picked all these places to stay that are way up on curvy roads. It always makes the views spectacular though. When we were arriving into town it was already getting to be close to dinner time so we just made our way to our hotel so we could grab some dinner. Getting to a new place is always an adventure. Parking all over this country seems to be a mess and this hotel's parking did not prove to be any different. We squeezed past rows of cars and into the parking garage which was like a small maze. We found one spot at the very end which we are actually not sure is a legal spot but we decided for us it was! What is the hotel going to do anyways? Tell us to move? Okay! At least we are not on the street getting a ticket. It was that our sleep in our car I am pretty sure. My mom could not take driving through the small garage any longer! 

Our night was low key. We walking down the street to a pizza place and then came back to our hotel. My Grandma is not feeling well tonight so she came back to the room while my mom and I explored the hotel a bit. We went all the way up to the rooftop. There is a beautiful terrace and a swimming pool which is obviously closed for the season but the view is marvelous!! You can see over Perugia and Assisi. I can't wait to see it during the day. We are only here for one day and two nights but we are also only here for one thing-The Eurochocolate Festival. Apparently it is a big deal. It goes on for ten days and this area is known for its chocolate. I am a fan of chocolate so I can't wait to see what tomorrow holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment